There are currently 95 guests online.
Various Artists: Great Drums at Sun
Take note, it takes more than a great vocalist to make a great song. The underlying musicians are just as important as the front man (or woman) but it is often the singer that is thrusted into the limelight. Here we have a new disc brought to us by the good folks at Bear Family Productions.
This compilation compiles twenty-eight tracks, taken from a pool of almost three thousand tunes recorded on Sun Records. This disc stands as a tribute to those early rock pioneers from the '50s, most notably the drummers who often seem to get overlooked. Artists such as Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, Charlie Rich, Gene Simmons, Carl Perkins and many others are featured along with their respective drummers. Tracks like the spry rockabilly of "Lovin' Up A Storm", the balladic shuffle that is "I Forgot To Remember To Forget", the early Johnny Cash tune "You're My Baby", turned into a rockabilly classic by none other than Roy Orbison and many more are excellent examples of '50s rock. It is really cool to give these songs a listen as these and other classics of the era laid the foundation for rock and roll music.
The packaging is also worth a look as the booklet contains a synopsis for every track including some historical accounts that certainly make for an interesting read.
If you are into '50s rock and roll and appreciate these early musicians of the period you should really give this record a listen. It is both refreshing and nostalgic at the same time. Those interested in rock and roll from an historical perspective should also take note.
1. Jerry Lee Lewis – Lovin' Up A Storm (1:50)
2. Elvis Presley – I Forgot To Remember To Forget (2:27)
3. Vernon Taylor – Today Is A Blue Day (1:52)
4. Rufus Thomas – Tiger Man (2:47)
5. Roy Orbison – You're My Baby (2:04)
6. Billy Riley – Red Hot (2:29)
7. Charlie Rich – Everything I Do Is Wrong (2:14)
8. Jerry Lee Lewis – Crazy Arms (2:43)
9. Warren Smith – Ubangi Stomp (1:58)
10. Gene Simmons – Drinkin' Wine (2:39)
11. Carl Mann – Foolish One (1:46)
12. Harold Jenkins – Give Me Some Love (2:01)
13. Sonny Burgess – What You Gonna Do? (1:54)
14. Ray Harris – Green Back Dollar, Watch And Chain (2:54)
15. Carl Perkins – You Can't Make Love To Somebody (2:22)
16. Jerry Lee Lewis – It'll Be Up (2:13)
17. Charlie Rich – Lonely Weekends (2:09)
18. Carl Perkins – Boppin' The Blues (2:31)
19. Jimmy Williams – Fire Engine Red (2:08)
20. Jerry Lee Lewis – Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On (2:52)
21. Ray Smith – Right Behind You Baby (2:23)
22. Carl Mann – I'm Coming Home (2:31)
23. Vernon Taylor – Your Lovin' Man (1:57)
24. Billy Riley – Flying Saucer Rock & Roll (2:02)
25. Carl Perkins – That Don't Move Me (1:53)
26. Warren Smith – So Long I'm Gone (2:10)
27. Charlie Rich – Big Man (2:42)
28. Bobby Sheridan – Red Man (2:14)
Added: May 17th 2017
Reviewer: Jon Neudorf
Related Link: Label's Official Site
[ Printer Friendly Page ]
[ Send to a Friend ]
[ Back to the Reviews Index | Post Comment ]
© 2004 Sea Of Tranquility
|For information regarding where to send CD promos and advertising, please see our FAQ page.|
If you have questions or comments, please Contact Us.
Please see our Policies Page for Site Usage, Privacy, and Copyright Policies.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all other content © Sea of Tranquility
SoT is Hosted by SpeedSoft.com